A Neolithic chambered tomb excavated by Witts in 1881 and more extensively by Clifford in 1934-5. The principal features of the site are a circular cairn covering a polygonal corbelled cist circa 1.2 metres high. This cairn stands at the western end of chambered tomb and was roughly central beneath the latters long mound. Witt examined the passage and side chambers of the tomb. Some of the chambers had clearly been explored previously. In one, which had not been disturbed, he found two human skeletons beneath a large flat stone. They were accompanied by some animal bones and teeth, a leaf arrowhead, and a jet or shale bead. 30 sherds of rough British pottery were also found. By 1934, quarrying and robbing had affected substantial areas of the barrow, and finds from Bronze Age to modern date occurred in the disturbed areas. The central round cairn, the earliest structural feature, was relatively undisturbed. The cist was of dry wall construction with a corbelled roof, and appears to have been around 1.2 metres high. It contained the bones of an adult male plus two flint flakes. Within the passage and chambers were areas of burning, pottery of Neolithic and possible Beaker date, human and animal remains (including the almost complete skeleton of a calf, and flints. Human remains had also been placed in a depression at the eastern entrance to the tomb, in the forecourt area. When visited by the Ordnance Survey in 1974, the site was extant as an amorphous mound measuring 46 metres east-west by 30 metres, with an average height of 1.7 metres. The main elements of its passage and chambers remain exposed in situ, with the earlier cairn visible as a small mound with stones protruding from it.