Christcliff Mine ( Iron Mines of Eskdale ), Eskdale
There are a number of haematite mine on the N and S sides of Eskdale Valley. All were abandoned by the mid- 1880s except for Nab Gill, re-opened for a short time in 1909 and again in 1917. None of these mines was a commercial success, but without them there would never have existed the delightful Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, originally constructed for the conveying of iron ore. Mining Details: The mines N of Christcliff are all fairly small and it is unlikely that much ore was found. History: The mines N of Christcliff (24474*0-24476*0) and those on the Gate Crag and Gill Force veins were commenced (or re- opened) by Messrs Donaldson and Allport in 1880 and worked until 1884. It is interesting to note that a branch line from the Eskdale Railway to their southern workings was constructed without Parliamentary permission (Adams, J. 1988).