The Patent Steam-Washing Factory was built in 1824 behind Wandle Villa (125006). It is shown in two watercolours by Yates of 1825. The building was huge by the standards of Mitcham, described as being 214 feet by 61 feet. The industrial process of textile dying was becoming more chemical based resulting in need for more efficient washing processes. This is presumably the market that the factory was trying to corner however it may have had an additional function as experimentation with steam dye fixing was being tested as a new printing technique. However the textile printing market in the south was in depression with the mills of the north becoming more competitive and the Napoleonic war limiting export sales and so the factory was never successful. Attempts at diversification included stocking production and block printing but none of these ventures had any success. The factory finally burnt down in April 1848 and was not rebuilt. The relationship with the nearby textile printing factory is unclear (125038). For a period James Moore owned both the properties but seems to have acted only as landlord.