The Bird Cage, a small 2-and-a-half storey dwelling of irregular pentagonal plan with one room on each floor and a small rectangular single storey addition to the left, dates from the mid 19th century. It was supposedly built by a Valentine Powell Richards, and restored in 1953 by Mr. W.H.Scott. The building consists mainly of slatestone rubble, with some timber frame and slate walls and a rear wall of cob. The chimney is made of brick and the roof covered with natural slates. (VBS, Lundy Bay, 1989).