Now Chapel Court. The earliest hospital on the site was a small unendowed establishment founded about the end of the 11th century. It ceased to exist during the 12th century and was superseded by the hospital erected by Bishop Robert between 1136 and 1166. This was known as the Lepers Hospital. The Hospital of St John was founded by Bishop Fitz Jocelin in 1180 and is the oldest charitable institution in the city. It was rebuilt in 1573, as a low edifice of one storey, on a North-South axis, and consisted of 12 rooms with a serving passage on the West side. It was much rebuilt in 1723 by Killigrew, whose work was completed by John Wood. In March 1954 the Bath Municipal Charity Trustees acquired the southern part of the former Citizen House, adjoining St Johns Hospital. During work on an extension, the stone floor of the Elizabethan hospital was observed intact by the Bath and Camerton Archaeological Society. Below were a number of Early English carved stones and a thick mass of stones and mortar containing Mediaeval and Roman pottery (for Roman features see ST 76 SW 133).Two burials were also recovered, probably connected with the nearby Mediaeval church of St Michael (ST 76 SW 60).