Medieval motte and three baileys surviving as an earthwork and stone keep. It was originally built of wood between 1090 and 1110, but was burnt down by the Welsh in 1196. It had been rebuilt by 1233. It was rebuilt in the second half of the 13th century in stone and this survives as a ruined four-storeyed building and curtain walls. The main surviving masonry portion of the castle is the Great Tower built into the side of the motte. After 1300 the castle was no longer used as a residance but had become a hunting lodge and administrative centre. In the early 16th century a courthouse was added, further alterations were carried out in 1780 and 1885. Scheduled.