The remains of the 13th century manor house and the buried remains of other buildings, including those of an earlier 11th century residence. The extant west range is of two storeys, the oldest part being the undercroft which is 13th century. Above this is the great hall and the private rooms, built and modified in the 14th and 15th centuries after licence to crenellate was granted to Henry Percy in 1309. The plan of the west range is a parallelogram with an extension at the north-east corner and a polygonal stair turret and spire at the north-west. The back of the building is set against rock so that the rear entrance leads directly into the upper floor. Fragments of other buildings indicate that the standing remains formed one side of a quadrangle stretching to the east. Earthworks in the field to the east, and cropmarks showing up on aerial photographs, show the location of its foundations. Underlying the deposits of the later medieval house are those of the Norman foundation. The first house on the site was built some time after 1067 by William de Percy, whose family were gifted eighty-six lordships by William the Conqueror. It remained the principal seat of the Percys until the 14th century, when Henry Percy bought the manor of Alnwick. As his family increased in power and influence in the north-east, so the residence at Spofforth lost favour and fell into disrepair.