The hospital Spittal in the Street, built in 1396 for a warden and poor persons, was connected with the chantry chapel of St. Edmund, founded in 1343. The chantry was already known as the chapel of St. Edmund, Spittal of the Street, although there is apparently no documentary evidence of an earlier hospital. The chapel, rebuilt in 1661 (by Dr. Robert Mapletoft, master of the hospital, 1660) and restored in 1890, and two cottages, are all that remains of the hospital. An inscription under the bell cot infers that the building was founded in 1398, demolished in 1594 and rebuilt in 1661. Now a house.