The buried and earthwork remains of a great house and gardens at Hanging Houghton. The house was owned by the Montague family from 1471 until it was abandoned in 1665, following the demise of the entire family during the plague. It survived as ruins as late as the 18th century. The remains of the house and gardens are represented by a series of rectangular areas defined by low earthworks and banks, measuring up to 0.75 metres high. The remains of the house are visible as a low rectangular building platform measuring 40 metres by 30 metres in the north eastern angle of the garden. Immediately to the west of the house there are earthwork enclosures marked by low boundary banks which indicate the location of formal knot gardens. Scheduled.