Roadside quarries, Tregerthen Farm, West Penwith Coast
A series of at least eight quarrying hollows have been dug into the lower clittery slopes of Sperris Croft. The area of moorstone quarrying is defined on its western and eastern edges by two large, almost circular, hollows. In between these features lie in a series of smaller quarries. The largest quarry hollow lies on the western edge of the lower slopes of Sperris Croft and is subcircular measuring 40m in length and 20m wide. It is up to 4.Om deep. At the eastern edge of this activity area lies a circular quarry hollow of some 14m in diameter and over 4.Om deep. This hollow cuts into a lower bank of field system 94323 and hence post-dates this area of moorland enclosure. This quarry is located where there is a substantial amount of projecting granite bedrock and hence many surfaces and edges of moorstone here display tare-and-feather drill marks. These small- scale quarrying activities are probably contemporary with similar activities centred around site 94301 further upslope on Sperris Croft. There is no documentary reference to this area of moorstone quarrying on the 1842 Tithe Map, but the 1880 1:25 OS map does show the location of this quarry. (Nowakowski, J. & Herring, P.C. 1987).