Oare gunpowder works was founded circa 1710 at Oare Creek, west of Faversham. After the Napoleonic Wars the works were owned by John Hall who also owned two other gunpowder works in Faversham, The Home Works (TR 06 SW 45) and Marsh Works (TR 06 SW 64). His acquisition of the works lead to development of the works in 1845. After the First World War the works were owned by Nobel Industries Ltd, then it was owned by ICI in 1926 who refurbished the works. The works were closed in 1934 when production was moved to Ardeer in Scotland. A survey as part of the RCHME Faversham Explosives Industry Project in 1991 noted some extant buildings which were in light industrial and residential use. Nineteenth century maps show that initial processing took place in the southern area of the works. Incorporating and refining mills were situated in the central and northern areas. The corning house may have been constructed around 1845 and redeveloped in 1926. It survives in ruied with brick and concrete retaining walls standing to a height of 6 metres. The test range also dates to this period and comprises a terrace 170 metres in length and 11 metres wide. Foundations of an associated laboratory and gun shed have also been identified. Features associated with the 1926 refurbishment includes an electric powered incoporating mill and a tramway used for transportation of material around the works.