Exeter Cathedral cloisters are thought to have been part of the design of Bishop Quivil (circa 1280 AD), although probably not completed until many years after his death. Bishop Brantingham (circa1370) and Bishop Stafford are supposed to have been responsible for their building. Nos 1 and 2 The Cloisters, are two 3 storey houses of 1762. No. 1 is of dark red brick with rusticated brick quoins. Half the frontage of No. 2 is part of the above house. The other half is partly of stone and shows traces of the Cathedral Cloisters which were demolished in the 17th century. Church House is built on the site of the Cathedral Cloisters. The front facing Deanery Place is 3 storeyed of Heavitree stone and is late 18th century. The back, facing the Cathedral was a market and almshouse in the 17th century and is a 2 storey plastered building. Below, the open market has been filled in probably circa 1840 and there are doors and windows of this date.