Originally built as a leper hospital founded in 1181 by Bishop Pudsey, and not suppressed. The church was the hospital chapel, the nave was built circa 1181 with early 13th century tower and chancel. The north aisle was added in 1868 by Austin and Johnson. Built from sqared and dressed sandtone with green slate roofs. Romanesque in style with Gothic tower.