Three terraced steps up steep north facing slope of a small coombe in the scarp slope above Springs smoked food enterprise. Each terrace is approx. 2m high and rather sloping, up to 70m long. There is also a broad sloping terrace lower down. This appears to be on the line of the pathway as it existed up until 1840. The route then changed (apparently to be less satisfactory in fact). Whether this broad terrace was partly cultivated with a path running alongside the field is not known but the whole coombe is not shown cultivated on the 1840 tithe map or 1st edition O. S. map (surveyed ca. 1809). On the 1898 OS map it is shown as wooded. There is an old small chalk pit at TQ23111131 which is shown on the 1875 and 1898 OS maps. Whether the change in position of the pathway altered because of chalk quarrying activity is not known but is a possibility.