Godolphins main water supply is still the same as that which has provided for the settlement since at least the 18th century and probably since the medieval period. A strong cast-iron manhole cover, c0.7m square and 3cm thick, on a concrete block support, now conceals the pipework within the most south-westerly of seven apparently post-medieval pits towards the lower end of the upper part of The Slips. Pipes originally ran along the top of the boundary between Wainhouse and Calves Meadow to a galvanised tank set on the walls N end; these were replaced by the present shallowly buried alkathene pipe (Vivian Smitham, pers.comm.). This is tapping in to the adit of the early tinworkings (site 97582) further up The Slips. It is possible that the adit is itself on the site of an earlier spring. Before being piped the water was guided down to the house by a leat appearing on the 1786 plan (CRO, RH 210) and the Tithe Map of 1839. This leat was still shown on the 1876 OS 1st edition but had become redundant by 1906 (OS 2nd edition) presumably because of the installation of piping but also because surface water (for the garden ponds etc) was now being partly obtained via the Carsluick leat (site 97525). The leat was guided down the side of the eastern bank of the medieval lane (site 97743) from Godolphin to the Hill and not the more substantial stone wall on the western side of the northern part of The Slips. The line chosen took the water to the gardens/house part of the settlement in preference to the farmstead although the water was then guided by bolts NW to the farm. The leats course was, however, external to the lane and probably within the ditch of the pale, and it was thus removed from disturbance by livestock moving along the lane. Animals grazing Calves Meadow will have had direct access to the water and the complex arrangement of walls at the centre of The Slips (site 97543) ensured that animals in Little Warren, Old Deer Park and Wainhouse Meadow also obtained water from the leat. The leat is now an earthwork 1.5m wide, 0.3m deep with its western bank 1.6m wide and up to 0.6m high. As noted above, this leat was directed towards the house/garden part of the settlement, but at one stage it was diverted eastwards alongside the avenue of trees along the N side of Calves Meadow to be able to feed running water into the ditch/moat alongside the S wall of the garden enclosure.