Kingston Lacy Park was begun probably ass gardens associated with Kingston Lacy House when it was built in the 1660s. Before the house was built a number of roads converged on the site of medieval Kingston Lacy. There is a map of the area by John Norden dating from the early 17th century showing this ( Hatfield Collection). These routeways were pushed to the north and to the south as the park developed and expanded. There are references to planting in the park in the late 17th and early 18th century ( D/BKL accounts of Margaret Bankes) but the first clear illustration is the map of 1742 ( D/BKL). This shows the park as much smaller than today. There are avenues of trees on the north and south sides of the house. There appears to be a statue in the centre of the north vista. To the east of the vista and a path running parallel with it is shown a little circular building, probably a folly built like a classical temple ( illustrated on the frontpiece map of the Woodward survey 112,667). This building is not shown on the 1786 map. Further to the east there is a pond. The north vista leads to the alignment of the old Blandford-Wimborne turnpike ( 112,310). The 1773 map ( D/BKL Woodward) is more detailed and shows the north park planted with regularly spaced trees. As well as the north vista two others radiate from the house to the north-west and north-east. The north-west vista alignment is followed by the present entrance road. The north-east vista is followed by the present road for 100m but is now difficult to trace beyond this. As well as what is now known as Snake Pond ( 112,564) there are an arc of four equally spaced ponds on the east side of the north vista. The 1773 map shows formal gardens immediately south of the house. Further south was a semi-circular terrace and radiating from this were avenues of trees. The 1786 enclosure map shows the south road bounding the to have been realigned several hundred metres further south and east of the 1773 route. By the time of the 1847 Tithe Map survey the road on the north side of the park had been moved several hundred metres to the north and the road on the east side of the park had been moved further east to enclose a larger area of the park. The enclosed area was screened by planting a belt of trees during the 19th century. By the beginning of the 20th century the farm buildings and garden buildings which had been close to Kingston Lacy House were moved outside the park. The parkland within the woodland belt was pasture with various types of trees arranged singly or in groups within it. A cricket pitch is shown on the north edge of the park on the 1887 Ordnance Survey map. The park has changed its form over time and there are earthwork remains of various phases of the parks development, particularly the earlier routes of the road and the north vista. The north side of the park between the house and the route of the old Blandford Road ( 112,310) has been the subject of an earthwork and resistivity survey which has identified the position of the temple/ folly. The park remains a belt of mainly deciduous trees enclosed by roads and containing a large area of open grassland with native and exotic tree plantations. For further detail see NT Kingston Lacy park survey.