A late 12th to mid 14th century moated manor house in a steep sided valley floor near Week St Mary in north east Cornwall. The monument is visible as a sub-circular moat cut into valley-floor deposits, defining a central island which supports the walls and foundation trenches of the manor house complex. The surviving walls are generally 0.75 metres-0.8 metres wide and 0.5 metres high but they rise to 1.4 metres high in the north west sector. The foundation trenches recorded by excavation are now visible as modern, low, wire-framed and turf-covered earth banks which are built over their courses. The moat is flat- bottomed, from 5.5 metres wide and 1.5 metres deep on the south to 12 metres wide and 1 metre deep on the north. It contains water on the north, east and south sides. The structural complex forming the manor house is visible as four ranges of buildings. Excavations indicated that the surviving plan resulted from four main building phases. The east range contains the earliest structure and is dated to circa 1180-1200. It housed, over an undercroft, the domestic apartments of the owner. About AD 1200, a wardrobe and garderobe were added to the northern end of the domestic apartments. The third and most extensive visible phase of building took place between circa 1224 and 1236, resulting in most structures of the north, west and south ranges. This building phase included the hall, buttery, chapel and bakehouse. The fourth building phase of circa 1300 resulted in the rebuilding of the kitchens and service wing. Historical records show that the manor of Penhallam formed part of the honour of Cardinham, held by Richard fitz Turold in 1087, and by his descendants, eventually the de Cardinham family. It is Andrew de Cardinham who is considered responsible for the major third building phase.