Ornamental gardens to Highnam Court, created in the mid 19th century. Gardens at Highnam Court are first documented on a map of 1757 when extensive formal gardens were present to the southwest of the house. Rock and flower gardens were laid out on the site of the lake which was drained in 1817-18. The main features of the mid 19th century gardens include grottoes which incorporate pools, islands, bridges and a waterfall. These are situated by a walled kitchen garden and an Italianate terrace which was built in 1843. The pinetum was also planted during this period.