A 16th century park, landscaped during the 18th century, with 19th century formal gardens. The park has belts of trees around most of its boundaries, with areas of thicker woodland in the northeast quarter and a pleasance in the southern area of the estate. Formal gardens were first designed during in early 17th century, and were situated to the south of the castle. Capability Browns landscaping of circa 1777 destroyed much of the formal gardens, but they were restored in 1832. Features also include balustraded terraces, and raised balustrated walks, and an arcaded yew hedge. The 19th century layout of this formal scheme may have been modified during the later 19th century, and involved intricate and extensive bedding which was maintained until 1939. Eighteenth century garden features include a tempietto of 1769 and statue of 1759.