Turf cut maze situated on Saffron Walden Common The maze measures 43 metres from corner to corner and comprises a series of concentric circles cut into the turf, enclosed by a low bank. It is laid out in a unicursal pattern formed by 17 linked circles with four linked outer horseshoe-shaped bastions which are slightly raised. The maze was first documented in 1699 but is thought to be Medieval in date. Recuts of the maze took place in 1828, 1841, 1859 and 1887. In 1911 the maze was recut and lined in brick to help preservation. A restoration of the maze took place in 1978 and 1979 when the bricks were cemented in place creating a 0.12 metre wide path.