Black Tom Shaft is situated 160 metres north east of Old Engine Shaft. Mine working was being undertaken in this area prior to 1820, and the original Black Tom Shaft is thought to be the same as the shaft shown in this vicinity on the 1766 estate map. Thereafter, the area is believed to have remained a centre of mining activity, and during the late 19th and early 20th centuries barytes mining and treatment was concentrated here. Map evidence indicates that a horse-gin was employed at Black Tom during the mid 19th century and, although there are no surface remains of the gin, it will survive as a buried feature to the south of the shaft. The extant winding engine house is thought to date from the use of Black Tom, from 1900, for mining barytes. Surface features associated with the treatment of barytes are visible to the north west of Black Tom Shaft where an ore dressing plant was located from circa 1900. This area is defined by low earthworks which seem to form a grid pattern, and includes concrete plinths and a jig and spiral classifier. Scheduled.