The mine shafts and shaft mound from early coal extraction and the standing remains of a beehive coke oven, located on exposed moorland on Fountains Fell. The colliery was founded around 1807 by Lord Ribblesdale to provide fuel for processing calamine as part of the zinc industry, at nearby Malham. After 1815 coke was also used for smelting lead at Malham Moor. The colliery developed slowly with maximum output being achieved in 1812. After this date production slowly declined. It is not known exactly how long the oven and colliery remained in use, although in 1830 some work was still being undertaken. The coke oven survives as a square stone built structure measuring 4 metres square and standing to a height of 2 metres on its south side. The coal used in the coke oven was extracted from the immediate area. Remains of this activity are preserved in the shafts themselves and mounds surrounding the top of each shaft. The shaft mounds were formed by excavated spoil and will retain evidence of pit top features such as winding gear and gin circles. Scheduled.