Extensive gardens and landscape park to Newby Hall. The gardens were developed by Major Edward Compton from 1925 incorporating 19th century elements. The parkland is thought to date from the 18th and 19th century. Garden terraces on south and west sides of house are of an uncertain date. The principal gardens are on south side of house and are laid out on a north-south axis linking the house to the River Ure. Steps lead from the house terrace, to the Lily Pond, a hedged enclosure and Statue Walk. Further crosswalks lead off to a mixture of rectilinear and irregularly curving walks, clearings and compartments including a Rock Garden, Rose Garden and Tropical Garden The parkland contains drives and has areas of woods and parkland planting. A view by Knyff of circa 1700 shows the former layout.