The house faces Gandy Street. There was formerly a narrow forecourt separating the house from the street; but the ground-floor frontage has been brought forwards to form a 19th-century shop front. The first floor retains part of an early 18th-century red-brick façade, with window openings with broad, flush sash boxes and flat-arched heads. The second floor frontage dates from the late 18th or early 19th century and may replace a former attic storey. The original staircase survives from first- to second-floor level at the rear. This stair has a closed string, turned balusters and a moulded handrail and resembles that in No. 18 (EUAD 11383). A contemporary timber framed partition with brick infilling was observed at second floor level in the party wall between nos 17 and 18 in October 2002 (see EUAD 15133). The constructional technique and the materials suggest that the partition is probably contemporary with the houses and is thus of early 18th-century date. The thin, timber-framed party wall between Nos. 17 and 18 Gandy Street, together with the similarity of the joinery of the staircases, suggests that both houses may have been constructed at the same time. It is unlikely the party wall aligns with an earlier boundary or contains earlier fabric. The houses may well occupy the site of a single, larger tenement that was subdivided to create two properties in around 1700.The present frontage of No. 17 Gandy Street has been altered, but may be reconstructed as resembling the Upper Paul Street frontage of No 18, with a two-storey brick elevation set back in a forecourt and topped by a cornice and a roof containing an attic storey lit by dormers. Both houses remain good examples of the way in which the domestic architecture of the early 18th century was applied to minor buildings. Houses of this quality on such a scale are now very rare in the city.Edited from the intervention description by Richard Parker (October 2002); SRB, 1.iii.2004.