The monument includes the the ruins and earthworks remains of Blakemoorgate, a 19th century mining and crofting settlement. The settlement was established by the early 19th century and is believed to have had close associations with Snailbeach lead mine to the north. Mining was always piecemeal, and even at its height, many miners supplemented their income by farming. Blakemoorgate lies within an area of cleared moorland and is enclosed by a series of boundary walls and earth banks. Map and documentary evidence indicate that there were three cottages at the site by around 1845 and at least two further houses were erected before 1881. During the early 20th century, in response to the economic decline of the lead mining industry, the cottages were gradually deserted, and the settlement was finally abandoned in the 1960s. Each stone-built cottage and its associated root store outbuilding are situated within a small enclosed yard, beyond which are a number of enclosed fields. One of the cottages in the northern part of the site along with its outbuilding are Listed Grade II. The enclosed fields have been cleared of stone and several clearance cairns are visible beyond the boundaries to the settlement and within the corners of the fields. These fields are thought to have been used for cultivating crops whilst the open moorland beyond was used for grazing livestock. Scheduled.