St Michael Paternoster Royal is first documented circa 1100 and named from the rosary (paternoster) makers who worked nearby, and from La Reole, a tenement known from the mid 13th century, named after a town in Gascony and popular with merchants from that province. Dick Whittington, who is buried here and lived next door, rebuilt the church in 1409. Following the Great Fire the church was rebuilt by Wren in 1685-94. It is of a plain oblong plan with a south west tower, the west front slightly out of true. This and the south front are Portland stone faced, with arched windows. The tower, although plain, has a magnificent steeple which was added in 1713-17, possibly designed by Hawksmoor. Blast damage in 1944 imperilled the church, and many furnishings were lost, but in 1966-8 it became the final City church to be restored, by Elidir Davies, for the Missions to Seafarers. Earlier restorations were by James Elmes in 1820, Butterfield in 1866, and by Ewan Christian in 1894. Inside, the Missions offices occupy the tower space, the former west vestibule and the first west bay, truncating the reconstructed church interior.