Artillery castle, probably built May to November 1547 but not possibly not completed untill 1559. Built as part of Henry VIIIs coast defence scheme. In 1597-8 an earthen bulwalk with bastions was added and in 1609 additions were made including corner buttresses. Further alterations were made in 1632. The moat was backfilled and some of the earthworks demolished in 1669. In guardianship and open to the public. Scheduled and listed.