Augustinian Friary, founded 1304, dissolved 1539. About 1796, what little remained of the Friary was demolished, and one range of buildings was converted into the Tiger Inn. The Guildhall demolished in 1806 contained some parts. Excavations in 1994 revealed the plan of the church and cloister East and West ranges, including the earliest, timber phases. The earliest church was a simple nave and quire in one build, separated by a step. The East and West ranges of the cloister were built of timber on brick foundations and stone post-pads, and three ovens, possibly associated with brewing and baking, were present. In the next phase, the quire was enlarged and rebuilt in brick on stone foundations, the cloisters also being rebuilt in the same fashion at that time. Finally, the nave was reconstructed in the same fashion, with North and South aisles. Although the foundations of the tower were not found, antiquarian sources state that it stood at the West end. Late in the Mediaeval period, the quire was extended 6m to the East.