EXTERNAL FEATURES Harewood House was built c.1854 by Thomas Pope of Merstham, gent. just after he bought the estate. Up to this time the site had been occupied by Browns Hill Farm which Pope demolished. North Lodge is the only lodge shown on the 1875 sale particulars when Mr Lloyd bought the estate. A fuller history is given in the report on Harewood House itself (SMR Site 128152). The house consists of three main phases. It was built c.1854 as a two up two down lodge. Fairly soon afterwards, certainly by the 1912 O.S Map the south ends of the verandahs were bricked up, while at the north end a lean-to scullery? was added. An extra room was added to each floor 1940-50 and the staircase position changed. On the 1875 map an outhouse is shown to the north, this had gone by 1912. Walls: The main walls are of a soft red brick laid to Flemish bond. Windows have cement hood moulds. The verandah ends are of a similar brick but clearly added, as is the northern lean-to. The 1940-50 portion is of cavity construction. The same bricks were used to part-block a doorway in the western end of the lean- to. There is a blocked window under the eastern verandah. Roof: Plain tiles are used with simple red ridge tiles. The ornate chimney stack has three diamond set flues. Details: Few interior fitting remain. The only one of real note is the small early C20 bedroom fireplace which matches one in the stable block.