Medieval park first documented in Domesday Book, and known as the Great Park in 1368. Between 1313 and 1331, a chapel in the park was served by 13 chaplains and 4 clerks. These were moved to the Castle by 1331. Field investigations carried out in 1963 found that the park pale, comprising a low bank and shallow ditch, was traceable over long stretches. The park has constantly been developed since the Medieval period. Early features include the long walk which extends over a distance of 4 kilometres north-south from Cambridge Gate to the upper centre of the park. It was first planted with elm trees circa 1680-83, but replanted during the mid 1940s with plane and chestnut. Mid-late 18th century development includes the creation of ponds including Virgina Water. Norfolk Farm and Flemish Farm were developed circa 1790. Further farms and estate workshops were developed during the mid 19th century, these include Shaw Farm and Home Farm. Other developments include the Village which was constructed in 1948 which had further development in 1954 and 1960. The Valley gardens were planted post 1945.