Earthwork remains of a Neolithic long barrow. The earliest recorded excavation was by Heneage Finch in 1702. He found a few bones, but was unable to identify any as human. The site was visited and sketched by William Stukeley during the 1720s, and a pot containing a Roman coin hoard, possibly late 4th century in date, was found while digging for a fence in the early 19th century. However, although attracting much subsequent comment, it was not excavated again until 1936-7, when R Jessup demonstrated that the monument was definitely a Neolithic long barrow. Finds included a broken polished flint axe from the mound. Animal bones and flint flakes, a scraper and cores were also recovered from the barrow. Iron Age and Roman pottery came from the upper levels of the ditch, while some possible Neolithic sherds came from lower down in the ditch fill. Romano-British activity was represented by animal remains, coins, pottery and six burials, four of which were excavated. Three were inhumations, while the fourth was a cremation. Items accompanying the burials included a bronze bracelet, a bronze brooch and pottery vessels. The history of investigation of the barrow has been summarized by Ashbee (1997). Ordnance Survey field investigation (in 1963) described the barrow as being in excellent condition. It has been truncated a little by chalk quarrying and ploughing, but survives to a length of circa 44 metres. Its maximum width is circa 15 metres, tapering to less than two metres at its southern end. Its maximum height is about 2 metres. No ditch is visible any longer for much of the mounds circuit, but it can be traced around the barrows destroyed northern end. Scheduled.