Great house built in 1825 by Thomas Cundy II for Charles Brudenell Bruce, Marquess of Ailesbury. It is built on the site of two earlier houses, first of 1573-5 by Sir John Thynne, the second a brick mansion of 1781 by Richard Boyle, Lord Burlington, for his brother in law, Charles Bruce, part of which is incorporated in the fabric of the present house. The present house is constructed from ashlar limestone with slate roofs and is of two storeys with a semi-basement and attic storey to the centre block. To the five-bay centre block is a giant tetrastyle Ionic portico up ten steps. To either side of the centre block are three-bay linking blocks to three by three bay wings. Attached to the end wings are half Tuscan column quadrant arms which link to one by three bay end pavilions. Alterations were carried out in 1870. The building has been used as a boys preparatory school since the 1950s.