The standing and earthwork remains of two lead ore works together with the standing remains of a mineshop and the adit entrance to Sir Francis Level with its associated iron air reciever. Sir Francis Level and its associated pair of ore works represent the final phase of mining within the wider Gunnerside Gill landscape. Mining at the Sir Francis Level was started in 1864, this was designed to act as a drainage level as well as to test the lower rock strata for ore. Mining eventually ceased in 1906. In 1876 the AD Mining Company constructed an ore works on the west side of the beck, 250 metres downstream from the level, with a second built by the Old Gang Company by 1878, a further 250 metres south on the east bank. Both companies ceased operations in 1887 to be replaced by the Old Gang Lead Mining Company in 1889. At the north end of the monument lies the entrance to Sir Francis Level with it in situ tram rails. The original portal has collapsed, but the adit is still open and accessible. Immediately to the west are the ruined remains of a air compressor house built in 1869. This retains the 6.1 metre long by 1.1 metre diameter wrought iron air receiver together with timbers related to the waterwheel which are partly buried in the rubble. Tramway lines can be traced from the level entrance to a series as spoil heaps which extend as finger tips down the valley. To the west of these tips, 65 metres south of the level, are the roofless remains of the mineshop which survives to a height of 6.1 metres. It is thought that the building acted both as miners accommodation and as the mine office. The 2 metre high remains of a second building survives 35 metres further south. This building is thought to have been the original mine office. For records relating to the remains of the two ore works please see records SD 99 NW 239 (AD Company) and SD 99 NW 240 (Old Gang Company). Scheduled.