Circular Structure, Shavercombe To Plym Head, Upper Plym Valley
South-eastern structure which consists of a sub- circular levelled interior terraced into hillslope. The northern and eastern sectors are defined by a break in slope uphill. Western and southern sectors consist of an overgrown bank in which a few stones are visible including an orthostatic slab in southern sector. There is little indication of an outer facing. A gap 0.50m wide in south-western sector may be an entrance, though the only possible portal is a very small transverse orthostat on south-eastern side. Excavation (Worth, 1900) revealed a paved floor laid directly on the subsoil. A little charcoal was found between the stones, but a large amount of brick-red subsoil provided evidence of considerable burning activity. Diameter: 3.50m x 3m internal; 5.50m x 5m external x H 8.30m Orientation: SW? Archaeological Comments - Site:103172*4 A site visit by R H Stone, in 1991, lead to his suggestion that more detailed survey may be required to elucidate a number of possible (additional) features - abutting or adjacent to structure *4 - he could discern on the ground. These features include: a wall abutting eastern side of structure *4, and continuing southwards towards stream (Deadmans Bottom); a pavement adjacent south-western side of whole complex. In 1992, R H Stone was less certain about the wall, but remained convinced that further examination and recording was required. R H Stone feels that the description of circular structure is inappropriate - see this field for site 103172*1: Circular structure (*1). R H Stone states that definition of a circular structure is inappropriate since it is more rectangular. Possibility of other discernible features abutting and adjacent to this structure, namely: wall (upto 200mm high) joining eastern side of structure and running south towards stream (Deadmans Bottom); pavement adjacent south-western side of complex as a whole.