The earthwork, buried, standing and rock cut remains of Magpie, Dirty Red Soil, Maypit and Horsesteps lead mines. Situated on a limestone plateau, 700 metres south of Sheldon village, the first documentation of mine working in the area was the opening of Shuttlebark vein, an ore deposit running through the centre of the monument. The title of Magpie Mine was first used in 1740 and throughout the 18th century the mine was worked by various individuals and partnerships. During the second half of the 18th century other mines opened nearby including Dirty Red Soil. The mines, however, closed in 1793 as lead prices declined. Magpie was reopened circa 1800 and following the sinking of the main shaft and installation of a Newcomen type engine, the mine flourished so by 1824 it was the most profitable in Derbyshire. In 1835 Magpie Mine closed and in 1838 it was amalgamated with Great Red Soil Mine and a year later John Taylor, the most respected mine manager in the country took over. Taylor introduced large scale and efficient working and was responsible for many of the standing buildings visible today. With problems caused with drainage Magpie Sough was built by 1881. The expense of its construction caused financial difficulties and the mine suspended operations again in 1883. Magpie Consolidated Mines started working the site in 1950 and are responsible for replacing the wooden headgear with that of steel which is still visible today. The mine finally closed in 1958. The remains include engine and climbing shafts, gin circles, a powder house, an engine reservoir, ruined coes, open cuts, rake workings, flues, drains, tramways and a section of the sough. Further features include a crushing circle, dressing floor, washing floor, slime ponds, and buddle dams. Scheduled.