The boundaries of Hotbank farm date back to the late 17th century and the original farmsteads known as Hodbank, Loughside, Foulbog and Steel Rig. The post-medieval landscape was largely unenclosed with the exception of hedge bank boundaries around the farmhouses and their fields (Taylor 1975, 126). All the land in the eastern half of the farm N of Hadrians Wall between NY76716860 and NY79927000 lies in the Civil Parish of Bardon Mill which, prior to boundary changes in 1973, was known as Ridley Common. In 1751 it was largely owned by the Blackett family of Matfen who enclosed it by private agreement (ZBL 4/7; Hoskins 1955, 177-195; Taylor 1975, 139-153). No map was made of the enclosures but the Tithe map of 1844 (DT 393 M) reveals that enclosure had been limited and that OS Field Parcels only came into being between 1866 and 1898, as seen on the 1st and 2nd edition enclosure maps. The western part of the farm between NY75006775 and NY 76716860 lies within Henshaw township and was enclosed by an Act of Parliament in 1783 during the reign of George III (ZBL 268/1), overlying an earlier 17th century farmstead (Steel Rig 12226*0). Maps between 1866 (1st edition Ordnance Survey map, sheet LXXXIII) and the present day reveal that the field system has changed little in over one hundred years.