HOSPITAL ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Hospital founded circa 1140. It escaped the dissolution, but in 1870 was moved from its ancient site. In 1955, the 2 remaining buildings were gutted, and by the addition of a new chancel was converted into a Roman Catholic church. In 1870 the buildings consisted of a chapel, an adjacent almshouse, and a masters house 60m East of the chapel. The latter was demolished in 1871. All 3 buildings incorporated Mediaeval features, and the chapel and almshouse are extant as St Johns Roman Catholic Church and Hall. The unusual plan suggests that the hospital originally consisted of 3 parallel aisles acting as wards and a chapel at the East end of the central aisle. later the chapel was rebuilt on the same site, the North and central aisles were demolished, and the almshouse constructed on the foundation of the South aisle, retaining the West front of the aisles. The considerable distance between the masters house and the other hospital buildings may have been occupied by the conventual church, the brethren living in what later became the masters house. A document of 1309 refers to the rebuidling of the church with 4 altars, and implies a church much larger than any of the present building.