Public park in Whalley Range opened in 1870. The park was designed by Alexander Henell who won a competition held by Manchester Corporation. It was designed specifically to cope with the promenading of large numbers of people. The park has a raise terrace laid out with as a flower garden originally planting by carpet bedding but replaced by herbaceous borders by the 1920s. The rest is laid out wuith walks and avenues and a serpentine lake. To the south is a sunken bowling green which was in place by 1871. A cactus house was constructed in the southeast corner of the park in 1905-6.