The remains of the deserted medieval village of East Tanfield, including the earthwork remains of building platforms, associated yards and enclosures and tracks and hollow ways. The monument is located on a river terrace 400 metres north of the River Ure. The medieval village was concentrated on the east and west sides of a wide central street. The street is cut up to 3 metres below the ground level to the east and is thought to have been an earlier course of the River Ure. To the east of the street the village remains include the earthwork remains of tofts, the short ends of which fron onto the street. At the front of the tofts are the remains of house foundations whilst to the rear is a large enclosure which would have been used for horticulture or stock rearing. To the west and south west of the main street are further building remains and a series of large rectangular enclosures or yards defined by earthern banks. East Tanfield is one of the best documented of the medieval deserted villages in Yorkshire. Manorial and rental accounts survive from 1300 to 1500, showing the village to have been a prosperous community in the medieval period. However, between 1513 and 1517 eight houses were destroyed and, in common with other medieval settlements in England, the village became deserted. Scheduled.