Late nineteenth century formal gardens and wooded grounds to Bowes Museum. The museum was constructed 1869-76 and opened to the public in 1892. The grounds are planted with woodland and individual trees between 1869-74. The main feature of the gardens is an oval parterre, driveways and an arched and balustraded terrace. The parterre was orignally designed in the 19th century, but recreated in 1982. It has a central pool and fountains. The remaining area is lawned. There was a bandstand of circa 1912, but demolished in the 1950s. Entrance lodges are present to the south of the museum. Other features include a bowling green, tennis courts and lawns set out in 1905-12, and the bowling green pavilion constructed circa 1900.