Medieval deer park documented in 1301 and during the late 16th and early 17th century. The park was landscaped to the east of Welbeck Abbey during the mid 18th century. Further landscaping took place in 1790-93 by Humphry Repton. He was responsible for the extension to the lake into a series of five lakes linked by weirs. Landscaping also took place during the late 19th and early 20th century. Formal gardens were first created during the 17th century, but have been removed. The present gardens date to the late 19th and early 20th century. Some were mich simplified during the 1940s. The walled kitchen garden was created in 1744.