Steel Rig Farm, OS Field Parcel 5500, Hotbank Farm
A farmstead can be defined as a group of features comprising of a farmhouse, farm buildings and associated enclosures in permanent occupation (Ramm et al.1970, xiv, 44-6). The remains at Steel Rig farm consist of a number of hedge banks, collapsed boulder walls and relics of stone clad banks. Narrow ridge and furrow can be seen on Steel Rig and on the opposite slope to the N. The land in the middle possibly represents wet pasture and the walls and hedges were used to separate livestock from crops. The remains of an enclosure which may have been the site of the original farmstead (12226*1) is situated along the inside of a large hedgebank running E-W that seems to have formed the N boundary of the farm (12226*). The first record of a farm at Steel Rig is a lease agreement dated to 1698 which describes the farms exterior boundaries and the crops grown within them, including corn and grain (ZBL 1/100). The farm is marked on the Allgood version of the 1749 map of the proposed Military Road showing hedge boundaries and ridge and furrow. The area is marked on the 1793 Enclosure Acts map for the township of Henshaw as being anciently inclosed (NRO 309/m.71) suggesting that by this time the farm was well established or may have even gone out of use by then. The farmhouse was moved from its original position to its new one on the site of the current Steel Rig car park around 1750. That farmhouse was demolished by John Clayton between 1866 and 1898. Archaeological Comments - Site:12226*0 Now that more is known of Steel Rig a new survey at a scale of 1:1000 should be made.