19th century brick farmstead, after 1842 following purchases by the Bonsors of the enclosures made from the open fields of Great Bookham in 1822. The present farmhouse has a date stamp of 1846 under the south gable. Black flint walls with brick dressings and rubbed brick flat arches. Matching extension on south side seems to have been built soon after original house. Chimney stacks all of brick with signs of having been truncated. Slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. The east gable has ornate wavy verge (barge) boards, the other three original gables seem to have had more ornate boards of zig-zags and cusps. Their battered remains were still visible in 1988, and in 1995. The southern extension is half-hipped and has no barge boards. The farmhouse has a distinctive set of cast iron windows, now painted white. Higgins (1989, D01) knew of only one parallel, at Deepdene Cemetery, dated 1855. The back room has internal shutters and that to the bathroom is of a later date. Upstairs the original fireplaces have all been boxed, those downstairs have been replaced by various 20th century types. The pine stairs have a cut string with square balusters to a tread and turned newels staircase. (Currie 1995) BRIEF DESCRIPTION A purpose built farmstead on land which was previously part of the Common Field of Great Bookham. This is a good Victorian flint farmhouse with a datestone of 1846. EXTERNAL FEATURES See following sheet for the known history of the farmstead. Walls. The main fabric of the walls is black centred knapped flint with brick dressings and rubbed brick flat arches. A stone datestone in the south gable bears the date 1846, the change in colour of the flintwork for the gable does not seen to indicate a different building phase. There is a matching extension to the south which must have been built relatively soon after the original house. The chimneys are all of brick, some have been truncated. Roof. The roof is covered with blue Welsh slate with some decorative ridge tiles. The roof of the added section is to a shallower pitch as it has a greater span. The eastern gable has ornate sinuous barge boards. The other three original gables had more ornate barge boards made up of straight zig-zags and cusps as can be seen from their battered remains. The extension is half hipped and has no barge boards. Windows. The cast-iron windows are the most distinctive and attractive feature of Goldstone Farmhouse. The only other examples of this design known to the author are on the gate lodge to Deepdene Cemetry, Dorking dated 1855. The back room has internal shutters. The bathroom window opening is clearly later. Doors. All the original four panel doors remain in good architraves. The doorway into the first floor of the extension was only knocked through during the lives of the presentoccupants. Fireplaces. The original(?) upstairs fireplaces are all boxed. Downstairs they have all been replaced. The back room has an Edwardian fireplace, the living room 1940s brick one and the dining room a 1970s reconstructed stone surround. Stairs. The pine stairs have a cut string with two square balusters to a tread and turned newels.
REGIONAL OFFICE COMMENTS A well preserved house worthy of preservation. The remaining original features should all be preserved, and if possible the barge boards reinstated. PHOTOGRAPHIC NEGATIVES Polesden Lacey B37 to B47 FARMBUILDINGS BRIEF DESCRIPTION The farmbuildings which relate to the creation of the farrmstead in 1846 were all destroyed in a fire of 1972. One earlier building, a cowhouse, remains on the site. A feature of the farmland is the lack of hedge.
EXTERNAL FEATURES Notes on the earlier layout of the farm and on the cow shed are given on the old plan. The major loss of historically interesting buildings took place during the harvest of 1972 when a bale on the conveyor broke up and fell onto the engine and caught light. The resulting fire destroyed all of the buildings at the northern end of the farmstead. Extensive improvements were proposed in 1943 just after the farm came to the Trust but these were never carried out. Plans to improve Polesden Farm were made the following year but these were not carried out either. Mr John Gray moved to the farm in 1928 with his father. He remembers the first tractor came in 1937-8 and the last horse left after the war in c.1946. As far as he remembers the farm has always been mixed, in his earlier days he also kept stock on the land round Bookham Grove and other large houses in Bookham. Before his father a man called Hull worked the farm, he was here from 1921- 28, his predecessor also has a seven year lease. During this time lavender and mint were grown on the farm, Mr Gray thought 10 acres may still have been growing when they moved in. [This is of course a traditional north Surrey crop M.J.H.1
REGIONAL OFFICE COMMENTS The general appearance of the farm is not very good considering a public right of way passes through it. Future building work should provide an opportunity to improve the appearance. Before the cow shed is reboarded a survey of the blocked openings should be made. Its large span makes.it suitable for continuing agricultural use.
PHOTOGRAPHIC NEGATIVE NUMBERS Filed under Polesden Lacey B37 to B47 Brief Historical Notes. Goldstone Farm is a Victorian creation from what had previously been open fields in a multitude of hands. The name was taken from Goldstone Hill which lies north-west of the junction of Polesden Drive with Dorking Road. Goldstone is thought to be a corruption of Golsden, that is the personal name Gol with den, meaning a valley. By the tithe award of 1839 the name had bnecome Goldsden but the farm seems to have been called Goldstone from its creation in 1846. The common field system developed in the early medieval period to allow each occupant of the village to have a number of stips or furlongs in each field. The traditional manorial system was slowly eroded by major land owners buying up adjoining strips of land to combine as larger fields. A parish map of Great Bookham (1797/8) illustrates this, Richard Brinsley Sheridan of Polesden Lacey being one such collector. Most of the 250 acres now occupied by Goldstone Farm is shown on the map as the traditional narrow furlongs. The process of aggregation was to most peoples benefit and to complete this an Act of Parliament was drawn up in 1822 and the land reallocated in larger parcels to each owner. Joseph Bonsor was owner of Polesden Lacey at this time and he was alotted seven parcels of land adjoining the rest of Polesden Estate. Bonsor was keen to purchase more land, a process which was now much quicker as there were fewer pieces to deal with. By 1842 (Tithe Map) the family had purchased, inter alia, all of the land between Chalkpit Lane and the Dorking Road which had been common field. Goldstone Farm was built by Joseph Bonsor (II) in 1846 to serve this extensive tract of land just north of a piece called Little Dollys Close which had been enclosed by 1797. Earlier a single building had been erected on this site, possibly as an animal shelter. The open landscape of Goldstone Farm might appear at first sight to be the result of recent over-zealous hedge clearance. This brief study, however, makes it clear that the unenclosed nature of the land persists from the early medieval period, the few hedged fields at the south edge being late eighteenth century enclosures farmed by amalgamation as described. It would be right to maintain the landscape in its present form. (Martin J Higgins, February 1989)