Early 19th century and mid-20th century picturesque gardens and woodland of 7.5 ha within park, woodland and agricultual estate of c.300ha. Scotney Castle C14, on site of earlier house, and with C17 house attached. Moated site comprising two islands. Edward Hussey (1807-94 III) had a new mansion by Anthony Salvin built on the hill above, 300m to north-east. Salvins design 1835, construction of mansion 1837-43. Terraces to south-east amd to north-west, wlaled kitchen garden 1.5km to west, with curving approach drive through woodland. Stone for the Salvin house was quarried from the hillside100m distant, and roughly in line with the remains of the Castle below, from which parts of the C17 house were demolished at the same time. The estate at Scotney slopes down from the north-west to south-east to the valley of the river Bewl, which feeds the moat from Scotney Castle. Edward hussey (III) consulted William Sawrey Gilpin about the siting of his new house. It was probably on Gilpins advice that Hussey undertook the parial demolition of the Castle, to make it more pictureseque, the exploitation of the quarry to make a woodland dell, and the building of the bastion, as a south-eastern extension of the terrace of the new house, overlooking the quarry and Castle. The orginal woodland with native beech and oak was transformed by C19 planting of individual trees and shrubs - rhododendron, with cypress, lebanon, cedar, Wellingtonia and lime. Many of these now in high maturity. Further varied plantings post-1952 by Chirstopher (1899-1970) -rhododendron, azalea, maple, Kalmiz, buddleia. Spring bulbs in woodland and bog plants beside the moat. Meandering paths circle the moat, and cross the upper woodland. Late C18 thatched Ice Well or ice-house 75m north of Castle, C19 baothouse on southern island and sculpture by Henry Moore erected 1977 on peninsula 50m further south-west. Herb garden by Lanning Roper, c.1980, round old font in Castle forecourt. At north-west entrance to bridge over the Sweetbourne Brook, sculpture of Laughing Boys beside Ha-ha (1). The wider park was created by removing the hedgrows and shaws, leaving the mature oaks and planting groups of specimen trees in Beech Field (now gone), on White Hill and throughout the Warren (also many gone in 1987 storm). Small shaws opened in Park Mead. Edward Hussey (III) extended his landscaping into the surrounding woods at Kilndown, the Pinetum [NT SMR 142168] and in the fields etc around Little Scotney Farm. Details of Edward Husseys work are given in his diaries (2,3).