Acquired 1883. Southdown Farm lies on a south facing hill slope and is first shown (but not named) on the OS 2 map of 1809. However, the buildings are largely of 19th century type and a datestone on the farmhouse reads erected by Sep 1837 this can be identified with Sarah Elizabeth Prideaux recorded as the owner in the South Milton Tithe Apportionment book. At that time, the farm was occupied by Richard Paige. A few of the farm buildings, a bank barn, cowshed and stable are of late 18th century/early 19th type and also recorded on the Tithe Map. (Tithe Map and NT Vernacular Buildings Survey, 1987). Most of the field boundaries are shown on the Tithe Map, although there has been minor loss of boundaries. At Southdown Farm there are no field names recorded on the Tithe Map indicating the presence of an archaeological site. One small area (South Milton 721a named waste) may indicate the position of a former small pit or quarry. One of the fields (South Milton 710) is called Little Preistland suggesting that it may have once been owned by a priest (Field, J. 1972, 174). The land in this area was clearly divided into holdings and was part of a large estate by the Saxon period (part of the South Hams granted by King Aethelwulf to himself in a charter of 847, Hooke D 1994, 105). South Milton and South Huish are Domesday Manors and the (parish) boundary between them follows the stream west from South Huish to Thurlestone rock (Devon County SMR SX64SE/63,64). This also forms the southern boundary of Southdown Farm (NT SMR 106557). South Milton (Mideltona in Domesday Book) means Middle Farm. Hooke suggests that this may reflect its position in the large Saxon Estate (Hooke 1994, 111). There are a number of park and down field names suggesting enclosure at Southdown Farm, and the fairly large field pattern is also suggestive of this, although it is not clear when the land was enclosed, possibly in the medieval period, although South Huish retained areas of subdivided arable land (open field system) until the 17th century (Fox HSA 1975, 187). In the medieval period the region was predominately arable, with little woodland. The decline in the value of arable and population numbers in the 15th century may have led to the enclosure of land units to be farmed by a single tenant (rather than open field system) being more usual by c1500 (Fox, HAS 1975, 196-8). At the time of the Tithe Map the land is predominately arable with pasture only towards the valley bottom.