Although this is called a castle it does not seem to have been more than a pele tower. Built in the 14th century, it stands at its full height with the roof in fair condition. Much of the stone work is post 1545-6, when the building was described as a ruin. It was repaired with material from Furness Abbey and used as a prison for many years. In 1856 the building was thoroughly restored (English Heritage 1963). The first reference to a building on this site is too a prison in 1257, but the present building is probably c.1350. The architectural characteristics of the building lend testimony to this with the remains of the mouldings on the southern entrance, the elliptical head of the window on the southern side and the upper window on the north side near the northeast corner. Further evidence of the building date can be seen by the corbels inside the structure, for the 3 tiers of rooms above the ground floor all indicate the same date. The building was used as a prison until 1846, until then the proceedings of the court leet and court baron were held. The door on the west side was the original entrance, with the internal arrangement of rooms being 2 rooms on the ground floor. The south room was divided from the north by a 13 thick wall that is located near the spiral staircase. The first floor was 710 high, while the evidence of the corbels suggest that the second floor was 9 high. The third floor, the court room was over 113 high and had lighting on all sides. Access was by a spiral staircase (National Trust 1996). The castle is described as a rectangular structure that is 44 long and 226 wide externally. It is built of rough rubble limestone with red sandstone quoins and dressings. The interior has been entirely modernised. In 1856 the three storeys were reduced to two by the insertion of a single floor at mid level. The roof was reconstructed with hipped ends in 1907, prior to 1856 the east side of the tower had two rough cast gabled houses built up against it. The open lower part of this was carried on columns, this area probably served as a market hall in the 18th century. The windows are all restored of one or two lights, with trefoil heads and ogee arches. The southeast doorway has a plain moulded and rounded arch of two orders above it. The stone parapet is considered as modern (Cumbria SMR). The walls of the castle are 36 thick and rise from a stone plinth. The basement is un-vaulted, but divided by a cross wall. Under the northern half is a cellar (White, A. 1989). The ground floor room has an inserted fireplace, no other early architectural features are visible. The toilets and a kitchen have been inserted on this floor in an area made available by the removal of the spiral staircase. Access to the upper floor is now by a straight stair. An inserted fire place is also positioned in the passageway, which was originally part of the second room on the ground floor. The stairs are early 19th century, the fireplace in the upper room appears to be earlier than the lower ones. This probably dates from the alterations of 1856 when the three storeys were reduced to two. A blocked arched doorway in the northeast wall indicates access to the original third floor (English Heritage 1983). There is a local collection of curios, armour and photographs in old museum cases on the first floor (English Heritage 1987). The bronze spear head, said to have been found in the castle walls, is now in the possession of Lancaster City Museum. It was given as part of the H. Swainson Cowper Collection in 1938, museum code is LM/437/25. It should be noted that there is some doubt as to where the location of the spear head is today. It is displayed with material from this collection and from other sources. Information is given as follows:- Bronze Spearhead; found last century in the walls of Dalton Castle during restoration work. The socket and loops have rudimentary decoration. Bronze weapons have also been found in Piel and Gleaston Castle Walls, perhaps as votive offerings during building.(Cowper, H.S. 1902).