Survey and recording at nos 3-4 West Street in 2002 revealed traces of a later seventeenth century house on the site. This incorporated parts of the westernmost property, whose frontage is now usurped by an electricity sub-station, seems to have covered a substantial part of the buildings to the rear, and also involved the reconstruction of the high boundary walls of the property to the west, north and north-east, which also act as terrace walls. The extent of the property at this time (as with the previous period when the central plot was occupied by a very handsome moulded beam ceiling, see EUAD 11541) is uncertain, but it is possible that the whole property now covered by nos 3-4 West Street was in a single ownership.The extent of the building at this time remains unclear and it is hard to identify the possible full plan as so much of the surviving fabric belongs to later 18th and 19th century rebuilding, and it is possible that the building covered more of the plot at this period than is implied by the monument mapping. Nevertheless considerable traces of stone walls in the west range (the west wall and the dividing wall) and some vestiges of timber framed partitions and a roof truss of the late 17th century were identified in t he east range (Parker, R.W. 2002 Archaeological Recording and Historic Buildings Impact Assessment at 3-4 West Street, Exeter, Exeter Archaeology Report 02.84, pp. 16-17 and figs 4-5). The dividing wall in the west range contains traces of a large oven, and it has been suggested that this might be linked to a documented baker in occupation in 1584-5 (ibid., 17).Based on information from Parker 2002; Collings, in ibid. pp. 2-4; SRB 2.iii.04.