Modern Foage farm is almost certainly on the site of the early medieval farming settlement of that name. The positions of trackways and lanes, and the irregular shape of the townplace itself, with small clusters of buildings, some with associated farmstead enclosures, arranged around a central communal area, tend to confirm this. No buildings of medieval date survive although it is likely that some of the shapes of enclosures and the townplace were formed in earlier medieval times, and should thus be treated with respect. Foage Farm represents a rather unprepossessing group, isolated on marginal land high above the coastal plain and coast road. The house and buildings around the U-shaped yard are late 19th century with later additions. Cow house A is post 1908. Some fragments are earlier (shown on the Tithe Map). The two-storey farmhouse stands slightly detached from the farm buildings, which are down the slope to the front and left. To the right is the earlier farmhouse, now called The Homestead. This is in private ownership and is the Foage Farm described in James Stevens diary.