An early 19th century landscape, together with a late 19th century and early 20th century woodland garden surrounding Caerhays Castle. The site is situated to the north of Veryan Bay, circa 12km south-west of St Austell and circa 6km south-east of Tregoney and covers an area of circa 120 hectares, comprising circa 20 hectares of gardens and pleasure grounds and circa 100 hectares of parkland, a lake and ornamental plantations. The formal gardens are situated to the north-west and south-east of the castle and comprise a series of terraces. John Bettesworth Trevanion commissioned John Nash to build a new house in 1807. The gardens were developed at this time perhaps with advice from Humphry Repton. Informal woodland pleasure grounds are situated to the north, west, and south-west of the Castle. Between 1853 and 1880 the owner Michael Williams followed by his son John Michael made further alterations to the grounds. John Charles Williams became owner in 1880 and circa 1885 began the woodland garden. In the late 19th and early 20th century he supported expeditions by E H Wilson and George Forrest which provided new introductions for the grounds. The woodland garden known as Castle Wood is divided by a series of tall laural hedges and is planted with mixed mature trees including rare specimens. Further areas include Old Park Wood and Forty Acre Wood. A lake formed in the early 19th century is situated circa 130 metres east of the castle. It was modified between 1854 and 1858. The park is divided into two sections. The park south-east of the castle was developed in the early 19th century by John Trevanion. The park to the east of the castle was developed in the mid 19th century by Michael Williams as a deer park, replacing an earlier park of 15th century origin.