South Caradon Mine extends across the south and south west slopes of Caradon Hill, reaching the River Seaton in the valley floor on the west where remains of the mines chief ore-dressing and service complex are sited. The valley also contains earlier mining remains in the form of a medieval and early post-medieval tin streamwork. The 19th century mine grew rapidly from 1836 when trial working struck one of the hills main copper-rich lodes. In the 1840s further shafts were sunk on the mainly east-west lodes. Concurrent with the mines underground development, its ore-dressing and service facilities rapidly expanded along the Seaton valley floor and its lower eastern slope. From the mid-1840s, these facilities were served by the terminus of the Liskeard and Caradon Railway, providing a vital link with the port of Looe for supplies and ore exports. A further shaft was sunk in the mid-1850s whilst from the 1860s, the mines main development occurred from four shafts sunk along Caradon Hills southern slopes. In 1874 the mine suffered from falling ore prices which, coupled with exhaustion of its western shafts and difficulties in raising capital, leading to the mines closure in 1885. The mine has survived well, retaining almost its complete layout. Despite some collapse of original masonry structures, the mine contains many rare and unusual features within its overall survival. These include the near-complete earthworks of its water supply and transport infrastructure; the cobbled copper-dressing floor in the valley; the horse engine-powered shaft at Webbs Whim: one of the best surviving examples of such nationally, and the good survival of shaft head complexes at the Sump and Jopes Shafts. At the Jopes Shaft complex in particular, the pumping engine house was one of only four built to house a Sims engine, while here and at Kittows Shaft are features from one of the last man-engines installed at a Cornish mine. Scheduled.